Preparing for Upcoming Weather!
Hurricane conditions are reported for later this week for the Carolinas and Virginia.
These storms may produce damaging winds, flooding, and widespread power outages:
1. Secure items outside your home by either tying them down or placing them indoors. You do not want to leave items outdoors that can blow away, cause damage, or fly through a window.
2. Charge any telephones for as long as possible. Take out any flashlights and flameless candles to have handy in case the power goes out without warning.
3. Report any power outages promptly!
5. Report about any items down- trees and wires! Do not touch any down wires ever!
FOR FAIRFAX COUNTY:
5.) Follow your favorite weather news source for more details, including Fairfax Alerts if you're not subscribed: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/alerts. You can follow updates from the National Weather Service here: https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/news2/weather/
6. Ensure that your car is filled with gas!
7. Stock in ample non-perishable groceries, batteries, drinking water. Have a stocked first aid kit on hand.
8. If you have an emergency generator ensure that it is tested, is operational, and has been serviced recently.
9. Refill any prescriptions!!! If feeling ill in any way, seek out medical attention promptly before the storms hit!!!
10. If you have private duty nurses touch base with the agency on emergency plans! Ensure that caregivers bring supplies and are prepared to stay in the event of unsafe travel conditions.
11. If you do not have a generator and require power for equipment, etc make plans to stay with a friend, family member, etc who has a back up power source.
12. Stay inside and be safe. Do not venture out or take any unnecessary chances!