Have you or your loved one been to a Memory Cafe??
A memory café is a place where those with Dementia or memory impairment and their caregivers can find support, resources, socialization, and companionship. Progressive memory loss is difficult, and isolating for many. If possible, it is best not to face it alone. Caregivers truly need the support, companionship and friendship of other individuals who are facing similar issues, and those with the diagnosis need friendship and social opportunities to interact with others in the same situation.
A memory café provides a safe, comfortable, and engaging environment for both the caregiver and the care receiver. Schedules vary, but memory cafés typically meet once or twice a month for about two hours in a variety of locations.
The focus changes and will be a little different each time and at each location! Those attending will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of activities, including crafts, interactive games, puzzles, movement, and more. Music is often times made a part of the activities, through entertainers, instruments, or group sing-a-longs. Additionally, caregivers can have a chance to chat and learn more about resources in the community, while care receivers can interact, make new friends and have fun.
The path of Dementia is a difficult one to follow. However, having supportive resources along the way can help to make it easier.
Memory Cafés are free of charge to those attending.
Here are some local dates in the Northern Virginia Area!
1. Herndon Senior Center, 4th Monday from 2:15-4 PM.
Contact Herndon Senior Center at 703-464-6200.
2. Andrew Chapel United Methodist Church, 1st and 3rd Thursday from 2-4 PM.
Contact Carol Blackwell at firstname.lastname@example.org or 571-236-6933.
3. Galilee United Methodist Church2nd Saturday from 12-2 PM-bring your lunch! Contact Tim Frank at email@example.com or 703- 298-5622.
4. Reston Community Center, Hunters Woods, 3rd Tuesday from 1-3 PM.
Contact Karen Brutsche at firstname.lastname@example.org, 703-476-4500.
5. Insight Memory Care Center, 1st and 3rd Wednesday from 4-6 PM.
Contact Christi Clark at email@example.com or 703-204-4664.
6. Metropolitan Methodist Church, 2nd and 4th Wednesday from 1:30-3:30 PM.
Contact Marti Bailey at 202-660-5658.
7. Saint Thomas UMC, 3rd Saturday 11am-2:30pm with potluck lunch.
Contact Jane Priest at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-766-9018.
If you live outside of the local Virginia area you can check online to locate sites near you: